Non-COVID-19 excess deaths by cause in Scotland
This analysis by Public Health Scotland, demonstrated underlying causes that contributed to the increase in non-COVID-19 related deaths that has been observed in Scotland in 2020. The analysis found that 82% of the excess deaths since the beginning on the pandemic were attributable to COVID-19, with the other 18% being caused mainly by Alzheimer’s, external and ill-defined causes, circulatory causes, cancer and diabetes. It also found that pre-existing inequalities in deaths of many of those conditions widened.
Back to Database