This guide from Public Health England is for local authority public health and planning teams and supports the use of Health Impact Assessment in the spatial planning process.
Health Impact Assessment (HIA) is a tool to identify and optimise the health and wellbeing impacts of planning. This guide supports the use of HIA in the process of plan making (when developing policies in local plans) and planning applications (designing proposals for development projects).
This guide provides information about:
- HIA in planning policy and practice
- developing local HIA policy and guidance
- determining whether an HIA is required
- establishing the scope of an HIA
- integrating an HIA with other assessments
The guide was informed by the University of Liverpool Health Impact Assessment in Town Planning: Research Report on Practice in England.
Back to Database